What Do I Need To Know About Retirement Plan Deadlines?Jun 10, 2021
You may have gone through all of our retirement articles and Podcast episodes and found the perfect retirement plan for you. Now you need to know some deadlines around that.
When do you need to implement the plan by?
When do you need to fund the plan by?
We are going to outline exactly that here today!
By the way, if you are still pondering which retirement plan is right or you need help setting one up, we work directly with Life, Inc Retirement Services. Visit this page to get connected!.
Retirement Plan Deadlines or Dates To Remember
You will want to be sure to give yourself ample amount of time to ensure not running up on a deadline.
- January 1 – Start Of Plan Year
- This is the start of the plan year for most retirement plans that are on a calendar year schedule.
- April 15 – IRA
- Deadline for IRA implementation or contributions for previous tax year.
- October 1 – Safe Harbor 401k + Simple IRA
- Deadline to implement these plan types for current tax year.
- October 15 – 401(k) Plan + SEP IRA
- Deadline to implement and contribute towards all 401(k) plans in the employER portion or a SEP IRA (tax filing date including extensions).
- NOTE: September 15 for Partnerships and S Corporations
- November 1 – Switching From Simple IRA to 401(k)
- Deadline for 60-day notice to employees of switching from a Simple IRA to a 401(k) for the next tax year.
- December 31 – 401(k) Plan – EmployEE Portion
- Deadline for implementation and contributions for employees to contribute towards a 401(k) plan for current tax year.
What Else Should I Know?
Some other key things to know about retirement plans in general.
- You can only have one company retirement plan in place at one time.
- You cannot make a change within a calendar year, you must wait until January 1.
- Ex: Lets say you have a SIMPLE IRA but want to move to a Safe Harbor 401k. You would be able to do that but you could need to wait until January 1 to make the official change.
- Don’t wait, get on top of it early. The last thing you want to be doing is scrambling close to a deadline and missing out.
If you are looking for professional advice and help in this area, we work directly with Life, Inc Retirement Services. Visit this page to get connected!.
On the link above you can setup a call to connect with an expert and get started right away. There is also a retirement plan evaluator which will guide you towards the best plan for your business.
The Time Is NOW To Start Paying Less In Taxes. Join TaxElm and start eliminating taxes and growing your wealth!
What you'll get:
- Tax Savings Blueprint and Training: We’ll provide you with a customized tax plan that is tailored to meet your specific needs and goals. Along with that, you have access to our library of training modules, implementation guides, supporting documents, and more.
- Unlimited Access to Tax Experts: Got a specific question about a tax strategy? You’ll have access to our team of tax experts to get the accounting and tax answers you need.
- Annual 1-on-1 Live Consultation: Once a year you get a live meeting with a tax expert to discuss anything tax savings you would like. This is your time to get your questions answered live 1-on-1.
- Annual Bookkeeping Analysis: Annually you will submit your financials to our team of accountants and we will put together a high level business financials overview report custom to your business.
- Monthly Group Webinar and Training: Every month, we host a live, virtual training session on a key tax topic. Join us live and bring your questions or view the recording on your own schedule.
- Partner Directory and Discounts: You get exclusive, members-only rates and access to our expert referral network for accounting, bookkeeping, tax preparation, payroll, financial planning, legal, retirement planning, tax resolution, and more!
It is like having a tax strategist walking with you along this entrepreneurial journey!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.